Stress comes from facing change. Humans do not like change. So when you feel stress look for a change that has happened with your life.
Some of the causes of Teenage Stress:
- Home - Your subdivision, your neighbors, maybe you recently had to move away from all of your friends.
- Family - A new addition to the family, a death in the family, constant arguing between sibling.
- Parents - Divorce, financial changes, new brothers or sisters
- School work - More homework than usual, a change in teachers, new responsiblities in extracurricular activities
i- School - any time your classes/ teachers change, testing week rather than a regular schedule, report or project due dates, heading to high school or college
- Yourself - change in the amount you exercise, type of food and times you eat it, weight and health changes
Learn how to relieve some of the stress, it can cause many problems both physically and emotionally. If you find that you or someone you know has increased amounts of change causing stress, please speak to a trusted adult, medical professional, a teacher or a school counselor. When talking to the adult, be sure to be honest and include all of the facts. It will help you to find your solution faster.
When a stressful situation presents itself take 5:
1. Think: Try to identify your change. Don't freak out. It's easy to let the emotions take over.
2. Adjust: Try to adjust to the change. Find a fun activity, go for a walk, talk to someone about your changes that cause your stress
3. Attitude: Tomorrow is another day and most stress is temporary, because you will adjust to the change.
4. Support: If you need help...get it.
5. Self: Dont' take it personally. Always be kind to yourself. If you need help, ask for it.
There are many different ways to reduce stress. Fnd the one that works for you.
Here is a list of some of the ways you can do that:
- Always allow plenty of time. Dont' rush.
- Deep breathing: Inhale and exhale slowly
- Listen to your favorite music
- Dance like no one is watching
- Get plenty of rest/sleep
- Play a sport
- Draw / Create Art
- Hang out with friends
- Mediatate / Yoga
- Enjoy LIFE !